BCI INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Check out 10+ NEW BCI INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES by following this link to the BCI Internship Opportunities Spreadsheet! All details about the internship location (remote/hybrid/in-person), compensation, eligibility requirements, preferred qualifications, work authorization requirements, etc. can be found in this spreadsheet.
BCI provides paid internships for Johns Hopkins Ph.D. students and Postdoctoral Fellows interested in exploring careers outside of academia. Since the program’s founding in 2013, BCI has facilitated 106 internships at 35+ organizations such as AstraZeneca, Booz Allen Hamilton, the Milken Institute, Ely Lilly, and more. Internships are available annually in the 5 career categories below:
- Business Side of Science
- Data and Computational Science
- Science Policy, Advocacy & Communications
- Biotech & Pharma (Research and Development)
Unless otherwise indicated on the BCI Internship Opportunities Spreadsheet above, all internship applications are due on January 24th, 2024. Interviews take place in February and have flexible start dates throughout 2024.
WHAT DO I NEED TO APPLY?
Apply in 2 easy steps: 1) gather all signatures on the Intent to Apply form and email the completed form to Dr. Amy Braun at email@example.com and 2) create a resume (not a CV!), which you will submit on Handshake using the links provided in the BCI Internship Opportunities Spreadsheet by January 24th. Dr. Braun is happy to help you create all application materials. *Note that some internships also require a cover letter, which you will also submit on Handshake along with your resume.
NEED HELP CREATING YOUR RESUME?
Join the PDCO’s Resume Session on Nov. 28th from 12-1pm. to learn how to create a tailored resume. Dr. Braun also hosts bi-weekly small group training sessions focused on resume prep, converting a CV into a resume, and creating a cover letter. Email Dr. Braun to learn more and discuss your individual application.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
The program is open to PhD students and Postdoctoral Fellows from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Whiting School of Engineering, and Krieger School of Arts and Sciences. PhD students are required to have completed their qualifying exams before the application deadline. *Note: Due to internship policy variations between JHU schools, PhD students in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences are only eligible for semester-long or summer internships.
SUMMARY OF 2024 BCI INTERNSHIP OPPORUNITIES
All BCI internships for 2024 are paid. Below is a brief summary of all internships available in 2024. Before applying, please rrefer to the BCI Internship Opportunities Spreadsheet to confirm details about remote/hybrid/in-person requirements, employers' preferred internship start-dates, work authorization requirements, and other internship-related topics.
Business Side Of Science Internships
- Sands Capital - APPLICATIONS DUE IN DECEMBER 2023!: Interns conduct research on new and existing investment opportunities across developed and emerging markets at institutions and with sponsors in 40+ countries. Intern will assist with analyzing company or market fundamentals; researching current holdings; and building company-focused financial models and projections. Compensation is $50/hour. Apply Here
- miRecule Inc (APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED ON ROLLING BASIS): miRecule is a pre-clinical biotechnology company focused on the development of RNA therapeutics to treat a variety of diseases. The Business Development intern will support business workflows with responsibilities including relationship management and market research. Apply Here.
- ZEISS Group: Gain holistic exposure to career pathways related to ZEISS’s sales organization (e.g., sales, technical support, instrument service, business development, marketing, and product management). Work directly with leading scientists and get hands-on experience with cutting edge imaging technologies. Opportunity for trip to ZEISS headquarters in White Plains NY. **Note, this is not a R&D or production internship. Apply Here
- Emerald Asset Management invests in small and mid-cap companies that operate at the cutting edge of innovation. Interns gain experience with evaluating potential investments in biotech, medical device, and molecular diagnostic companies. Apply Here
Data & Computational Science Internships
- Incyte - Modeling and Simulation Internship: Recently recognized by Forbes as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies, Incyte is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on finding solutions to grow a pipeline of medicines across Oncology and Inflammation & AutoImmunity. This internship requires strong competency in coding and running modeling and simulation related software such as Matlab/SimBiology, R, Julia, NONMEM, or Monolix. Apply Here
- Ripple Effect – Research & Evaluation Team: Gain exposure to evaluation consulting while supporting clients in health, public health, and scientific research to evaluate and improve programs and policies. Support Ripple Effect team with project planning, data collection and analysis, reporting and dissemination, as well as project coordination. Apply Here
Science Policy And Administration Internships
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) - APPLICATIONS DUE DECEMBER 2023! – Science Policy Fellow: Support a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)-funded project regarding implementation of a 2021 USDA contingency planning rule by writing a summary report based on survey data collected from active USDA registrant. This internship requires a resume and cover letter. Apply Here
- Coalition for Aligning Science is a woman-owned advisory firm specializes in designing and implementing large-scale programs to address unmet needs across the biomedical research and science policy landscape. Collectively, CAS oversees $700M+ in funded programs across neurodegeneration, neuropsychiatry, and wastewater-based epidemiology. Apply Here
- Ripple Effect's General Internship focuses on providing professional consulting services and exceptional talent to federal, private, and non-profit clients to support some of the most crucial policies and programs that shape our nation. Projects will span communications & outreach, research & evaluation, policy & program management, and strategic staffing domains. Apply Here
Biotech & Pharma Internships
- miRecule Inc – Research Internship: miRecule™ is an early-stage biotechnology company developing RNA-based therapeutics. miRecule is currently applying the DREAmiR™ platform to develop first-in-class therapies, with lead programs in Head & Neck Cancer and Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD). Candidates with training in general mammalian cell cultures, performing ELISA-based assays, and fluorescence and luminescence assays are encouraged to apply. Learn More Here
- Incyte is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on finding solutions to grow a pipeline of medicines across Oncology and Inflammation & AutoImmunity. The 3 bench-focused internships available for 2024 (listed below) each pay $25/hour as well as a generous travel grant.
- Incyte Immunology and Pre-Clinical Biology Research Teams: This intern will be responsible for developing assay(s) allowing for the interrogation of neutrophil biology which can be used at both pre-clinical and translational levels, primarily using human PMNs. Learn More Here
- Incyte Antibody Pharmacology Groups: Discover novel and effective biopharmaceutical medicines while learning about functional assay design, screening and characterization of potential antibody-based drug molecules. Use your creativity to develop better predictive in vitro systems that will allow Incyte to monitor immune modulation and further abilities in leveraging the immune system to treat cancer and autoimmune condition. Learn More Here
- Incyte - Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetics (PBPK) Modeler Internship. Asist with implementing modeling & simulation strategies supporting drug development, establishing PK/PD relationships and creating mechanistic pharmacology/toxicology models. Learn More Here
Not seeing an internship within your interest or research area? Check out BCI's "Choose Your Own Adventure" (CYOA) Internship Option!
Apply today for an internship at your “dream” host site! (Applications submitted year-round)
Not seeing a company that interests you in BCI's current offerings? Want to intern at a company of your own choosing? BCI’s "Choose Your Own Adventure" (CYOA) internship option helps Johns Hopkins PhD students and Postdoctoral Fellows pursue an internship at host sites that align with their niche research area, research interests, and career goals. All part-time and full-time CYOA internships are paid.
How do I apply for a CYOA Internship? Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and internships can be completed any time throughout the year. Follow 3 easy steps below to get started:
Step 1: Gather all signatures on BCI’s Intent to Apply form and create a ranked list of 1-3 organizations where you’d be interested in completing an internship.
Step 2: Meet with Dr. Braun to develop your resume and draft a tailored email “pitch” to send to employers sharing why you’d like to intern at their organization.
Step 3: Dr. Braun will guide you through the process of connecting and interviewing with companies of your choosing, as well as help you navigate next steps after the internship is secured.
Have Questions? Email Dr. Braun for details! She is happy to meet with you to discuss the CYOA process and opportunities.
JOIN OUR PHD INTERNSHIP LISTSERV!
Want internship opportunities for PhD students delivered right to your inbox? Join the PhD-Internships listserv! We’ll send new internship announcements as they come to all PhD students and Postdoctoral Fellows registered to this listserv.
How do I sign up? It’s easy! Click the following mail-to URL & send the auto-populated email: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=sub%20phd-internships